INTOSAI-Donor Cooperation - Development partners increase support for SAIs
Jaipur, India, 24–25 February 2012 – The Comptroller and Auditor General of India hosted the fourth Steering Committee meeting of the Cooperation between INTOSAI and the donor community. Participants discussed financing of 55 capacity development proposals targeting SAIs. The cooperation also agreed to establish a pooled fund for capacity development and work towards a framework for measuring the performance of SAIs. The meeting followed the Busan fourth High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness in 2011 which emphasised the crucial role of Supreme Audit Institutions in strengthening national institutions to promote sustainable development.
The INTOSAI-Donor Steering Committee exists to implement the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), signed by INTOSAI and 16 donor partners. Recognizing the important role of SAIs in strengthening accountability, transparency, good governance and the stewardship of public funds, the MoU aims to scale up and strengthen support provided to SAIs in developing countries.
The Steering Committee welcomed the important progress made since the last meeting in July 2011. The achievements include:
- 8 new global and regional initiatives are being launched, including a global program to implement ISSAIs with up to 2,85 million US Dollars made available.
- A global call for proposals for SAIs in need of support was announced in September 2011. 55 proposals from all INTOSAI regions were submitted. Progress was made on matching proposals with donors and SAIs willing to provide support. During the meeting expressions of interest were received in relation to 14 of the proposals and participants committed to match many more during the next three months.
- A task force of like-minded donor organizations agreed on the operating arrangements for a global pooled fund for SAI capacity development which will be launched this year and will complement existing support.
- A database on SAI capacity development support has been launched to enhance coordination of support to SAIs. It is available at www.saidevelopment.org.
- A tool for measuring SAI performance is under development.
For further information on any of the above activities or the INTOSAI-Donor Cooperation in general, please contact:
Office Telephone: + 47 21 54 08 10
Office E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org