INTOSAI Professional Pronouncements are the formal and authoritative announcements or declarations of the INTOSAI Community. They draw on the collective professional expertise of INTOSAI’s members and provide INTOSAI’s official statements on audit-related matters. All the pronouncements are organized and numbered according to their status and purpose in a single framework.
This framework –The INTOSAI Framework of Professional Pronouncements (IFPP) – contains three categories of professional pronouncements:
The INTOSAI Principles (INTOSAI-P)
The INTOSAI Principles consist of founding principles and core principles. The founding principles have historical significance and specify the role and functions, which SAIs should aspire to. These principles may be informative to Governments and Parliaments, as well as SAIs and the wider public and may be used as reference in establishing national mandates for SAIs.
The core principles support the founding principles for an SAI, clarifying the SAI’s role in society as well as high level prerequisites for its proper functioning and professional conduct.
The International Standards of Supreme Audit Institutions (ISSAI)
The ISSAIs are the authoritative international standards on public sector auditing. The purpose of the ISSAIs is to:
- ensure the quality of the audits conducted
- strengthen the credibility of the audit reports for users
- enhance transparency of the audit process
- specify the auditor’s responsibility in relation to the other parties involved
- define the different types of audit engagements and the related set of concepts that provides a common language for public sector auditing.
The full set of ISSAIs is based on a basic set of concepts and principles that defines public sector auditing and the different types of engagements supported by the ISSAIs.
The INTOSAI Guidance (GUID)
The guidance is developed by INTOSAI in order to support the SAI and individual auditors in:
- How to apply the ISSAIs in practice in the financial, performance or compliance audit processes
- How to apply the ISSAIs in practice in other engagements
- Understanding a specific subject matter and the application of the relevant ISSAIs
Documents can be found under: issai.org